Well,

The correct way to do it is to use the method you're reluctant to use:
"TableTitle with T:Table <n+>: format and use 'Continue from Previous
File in Book' for Paragraph Numbering"

So long as no other paragraphs use the T: numbering track and you
change the method in the book file to set the para numbering to
restart at 1 at the beginning each new guide, it should work fine.

Art

--
Art Campbell                                             art.campbell at
gmail.com