At 08:59 -0800 10/1/07, Gillian Flato wrote:

>But my Head2 is not necessarily on the same page. I could have a Head1
>and an introduction that is long and makes the text flow onto the next
>page so the Head 2 starts on the next page. So how do I compensate for
>that?

Gillian: my remark wasn't meant as a solution to your original posting, but
merely an addenda to Art's.

I've revisited your original mail, and afaik you can't fix this if you use
separate headers - or at least, I don't know a way of doing so: FrameMaker will
always take the most recent previous instance of a para tag from the end of the
current page backwards when it's referenced in a running header. So if you've
got a Head1 but no Head2 on the current page, a H/F variable that references
only a Head2 will reference the previous, invalid, one - as you've found out.

The usual way around this is to use just one context header, and define it as
$paratext[Head1,Head2]. This causes the header to display the first of Head1 or
Head2 that it finds. This has the following results:

. If a page contains a Head1 only, it's displayed

. If a page contains no Head 1, the most recent previous Head1 or Head2 are
displayed - which by definition are valid

. If a page contains a Head1 and a Head2, the Head1 is displayed

. If a page contains a Head2 but no Head1, the Head2 is displayed.

HTH

--
Steve