It's not always feasible to import page layouts from one book across all the
files in a book, but it's pretty straight-forward to just deal with the
variables without impacting all the page layouts book-wide. How to do this
depends on if it's a system variable or a user variable. If it's a system
variable (e.g., Running H/F2, etc.) you do have to change the definition from
the master page. If it's a user variable, as long as your cursor is in a text
frame, you can Alt+S, V to get the variable window and change the definition
from there. Then, save the doc and import variables from that doc to the other
files in the book. As long as you're not using the same variable for different
purposes?carefully verify that you don't have different definitions for some of
the Running H/F variables in preface as opposed to chapter files, for
instance?you should be fine. When you import the variables, it updates them
wherever they're used: master pages, body text, you name it.

  There are a couple of handy little tools out there that can help make sure
you only import what you want to import, since native FM seems to grab too
large of chunks for some import functions in my experience.

  Rick Quatro (frameexpert.com) has a plugin available called
FileImportSpecial. It allows you to import just the user variables and not the
system variables, for instance, or just the page numbering but not the chapter
numbering or PDF properties or all the other stuff that native FM lumps
together for importing as Document Properties. It's reasonably priced and
doesn't require FrameScript to run it. Using this plugin has saved my clients a
lot of time and irritation.

  Additionally, if you do have FrameScript, Karsten Natebus has a
SuperImportBundle script and a SuperVarBundle (http://framescript.natebus.de)
either of which allows you to select the variable(s) you want to import to the
targeted file(s).

  HTH
  Rene Stephenson

Bodvar Bjorgvinsson <bodvar at gmail.com> wrote:
  Although it is good practice to use variables for this, from what you
say, I would think that you would only need to open one of the files
of the book and do the change in there. Then just highlight the rest
of the files in the book file and do File > Import > Formats and just
choose what you need from there, in this case only the Page Layout,
that is, if what you have explained is all the changes needed.

HTH,

Bodvar