Eason, David wrote: 

> The entire civilized, English-speaking world calls the 
> background text or image on a page a "watermark"--but 
> apparently not Adobe. I looked in the index. I looked in the 
> table of contents. I looked in the online help. I did a 
> search for the term "watermark."  Using the manual was an 
> exercise in futility, but because I had not started out with 
> high hopes for success in the first place, I ended up 
> frustrated but not disappointed.

Agree, a good indexer would certainly have included "watermark." OTOH,
you could have met them half-way and found what you needed. In the
index, there are entries for:

-- background graphics on master pages
-- graphics:background, on master pages 

So on the index tab, just typing the term you used to _describe_ a
watermark -- "background" -- will get you there. A search for background
graphic works, too.

Indexers should try to think of appropriate synonyms. But so should
index users. 


Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom
rgcombs AT gmailDOTcom

Reply via email to