Charles,

You wrote:

 >... Second, and the reason I was trying to search the archives: I want to
 >create a link in an HTML file that will go to a named destination in a
 >PDF file. I know it can be done, and I have been able to find out how to
 >do it to a particular page or to alter a PDF file to include named
 >destinations. BUT-
 >I want to be able to set it up in FrameMaker, so that when I distill the
 >PDF, the named destination is already there, and the link will work. I'm
 >sure one of the gurus on this list can tell me how to accomplish that.
 >I did look in the FrameMaker documentation, but I couldn't find this
 >information there either.

In the HTML link, you have to append '#name' to the file name, #name being
the named destination in the pdf, for example:
http://www.microtype.com/showcase/ConvertFMnewlink.pdf#Inspiration

#name is actually the short form of #nameddest=name, so you could also have:
http://www.microtype.com/showcase/ConvertFMnewlink.pdf#nameddest=Inspiration

Other variations are:
#page=4 -- if you want to open the target PDF on page 4,
#search=string -- to open the target PDF with the Search panel open showing
locations for the specified strings, and the page with the first instance.
For example:
http://www.microtype.com/showcase/MultimediaAsst/Guide.pdf#Search=silentium

As to named destinations in the PDF: if defined in FrameMaker using the
newlink hypertext marker, a variable Mnn.8.newlink prefix is added (see
http://www.microtype.com/ImprovePDF.html#12 for more information).

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com * ToolbarPlus Express for FrameMaker
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
TimeSavers/Assistants