I think you may be under a (common) misconception about
the marker/paragraph option in the Cross-Reference dialog.
That option does *not* change anything about the cross-
references themselves. The option only changes the
information that is displayed in the dialog.  In the one case,
the dialog presents you with a list of existing x-ref markers
in the target file so that you can choose to refer to an existing
logically marked location. In the other case, the dialog presents
you with a list of all paragraphs with a specified tag so that
you can refer to any arbitrary piece of content regardless of
whether there is already an x-ref marker in that location.

When using the paragraph list option, if there is already a
marker in the target location, FrameMaker uses it. If there
is not an existing marker, FrameMaker creates a new marker.
And if you then toggle back to the marker list display you
will see that new marker included in the list. But the end
result is the same either way: an x-ref marker in the target
paragraph so that the referring location can find that location.

If your cross-references got clobbered in the transition from
structured to unstructured, it's because XML handles cross-
references very differently than FrameMaker does internally.
It has nothing to do with the item listing option that is set
in the Cross-Reference dialog.

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder (fred dot ridder at intel dot com)
Intel
Parsippany, NJ