Overall, I agree with Dan's point on how much opportunity for
a rich electronic communications environment has been overlooked.

On the other hand, who among us can be sure that there's no
"alternative rich communications universe" embedded in the
shorthand languages of "IM" and "rap?" Where's the Rosetta
Stone that can cross-translate among "Standard English,"
"common idiomatic English," "generally-accepted slang-lish,"
"blended-with-various-ethnic-based-languages English," etc?

Some people can communicate better than others. Woody Guthrie
summarized the main themes and meanings of the film of
Steinbeck's "The Grapes of Wrath" in one night, in language
that almost anyone can read and grasp. It probably would
survive the cryptic notation of Instant Messaging, with little
loss of meaning.

(http://www.geocities.com/nashville/3448/tomjoad.html)

It might be possible for someone to get a grant funded that
examines whether or not the common "IM-ing" abbreviation-based
language works better to communicate the records of
contemporary affairs and history across sociocultural groups,
than "Standard American English."

The losses of literacy that Dan points out are more about the
ineffectiveness of public education to bring students to a
useful level of literacy, than about the media and syntax
that's used to transmit recorded culture and history.

Regards,

Peter Gold
KnowHow ProServices