I have a similar situation and I do a combination of conditional text and
separate books. When I make the final PDF copies, I change out the title
page for each separate book, show the correct conditional text, update the
book, and create the PDF for the customers.
In my case, most of the text is the same in the chapters, so the conditions
I address with changes are generally the same ones. This does make it easier
to update changes to the software, and I usually have my chapters set to
show all the conditions, so that when I search for the specific areas of
text to update, I'll find them all in the first pass...

Cheryl