A couple things to check:

* This may be a minor point or a typo, but your Figure tag definition
doesn't include the - that you mention in text... (>  F:Fig.\
<$chapnum>\+<n+>< >\t).

* Is it possible that another tag, somewhere in the book is using the
F: numbering stream?
You may be able to check that by modifying that tag just in the files
that make up  Chapter 4, maybe changing it to f: or any other unused
letter.

* And you've applied the same set of tags to all affected files using
Import Formats?

Art Campbell art.campbell at gmail.com
 No disclaimers apply.
 DoD 358