Emmy A. wrote:

> I have a FrameMaker question for you.

Then I believe you've posted to the right place...

> Our product names consist of two letters, a hyphen,
> and some numbers, e.g., AB-1234. I always use a
> non-breaking hyphen (inserted by typing the 3-letter
> sequence: Esc, -, h) because I don't want the name
> to split onto two lines if it's positioned at the end of line.
> However, when I try to do a global search for all instances
> of the product name, the "Esc - h" sequence doesn't
> work in the Find text box. Typing that key sequence
> becomes -h and the Esc is ignored, and Find looks for
> AB-h1234. Even when I copy an instance of the name
> from my text and paste it into the Find text box, it
> doesn't work. Find just treats the - as a regular -,
> not a non-breaking hyphen. Same problem with replace.
> Can't type text with an Esc sequence into the Change
> text box. The kludge I use is to search on just the
> numeric portion of the name, e.g., 1234, and deal with
> the AB- part manually. But this is time-consuming.
> Any ideas?

If you refer to Appendix A of the FrameMaker User Guide,
you will see that you can type a non-breaking hyphen in
a dialog box using the 2-character code \+. Works in
Find/Replace, when defining cross-reference formats,
when entering marker text--anyplace where you can't
use Escape codes.

Fred Ridder