Fred...

I have used FrameMaker on and off for several years. However, I've
never taken advantage of text insets. So I too have several questions:

Must the source text be located only in another FrameMaker file?

Does it require a special text frame in the target document, or can
it be placed in-line in the main flow, say Flow A, in the target document?

Dennis Brunnenmeyer
At 12:31 PM 5/2/2008, Fred Ridder wrote:

>N. Jain asked:
>
> > I am learning FrameMaker 7.1. I have many times coming across
> posts mentioning text insets. I am confused. What is a text inset
> and how to insert it? Is a text insert different from a text frame?
> Please pardon me if my question sounds foolish.
>
>A text inset is a text flow that is contained in some external
>FrameMaker file and that is inserted by reference rather than
>by copying. It is exactly parallel to inserting the contents of
>an external graphic file by reference rather than by copying
>and pasting.
>
>Text insets offer an advantage when you have chunks of text
>that appear in multiple places, either in the same book or in
>different books, but need to have the same content in all
>instances. You maintain one master copy of the content and
>insert it by reference in any file that needs it. This can be
>particularly useful for things like legal "boilerplate" (disclaimer
>paragraphs, trademark acknowledgements, etc.), common
>notices or warnings, or any piece of description that is used
>in multiple places. Another advantage is that the appearance
>of the inset is determined by the style definitions in each
>different file that references the inset; you may have the same
>text from the same source file with markedy different appearance
>in different books.
>
>Note that I referred to an inset as a text _flow_ that is inserted
>by reference. In many cases may be convenient to have each
>inset in its own FrameMaker file, but there may be cases where
>it's more convenient to use multi-flow files to contain multiple
>separate inset chunks. For example, you may have one file that
>contains a half-dozen named flows, each of which contains a
>different warning paragraph.
>
>-Fred Ridder

>Windows Live SkyDrive lets you share files with faraway friends.
>http://www.windowslive.com/skydrive/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_skydrive_052008
>or visit
>http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/dennisb%40chronometrics.com
>
>Send administrative questions to listadmin at frameusers.com. Visit
>http://www.frameusers.com/ for more resources and info.

Dennis Brunnenmeyer
Director of Engineering
CEDAR RIDGE SYSTEMS
15019 Rattlesnake Road
Grass Valley, CA 95945-8710
Office: (530) 477-9015
Fax:  (530) 477-9085
Mobile: (530) 320-9025
eMail:  dennisb /at/ chronometrics /dot/ com