        From: Fred Ridder [mailto:docudoc at hotmail.com]
        Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 2:16 PM
        To: Callie Bertsche; Art Campbell
        Cc: framers at lists.frameusers.com
        Subject: RE: Cross references between books

        Callie Bertsche responded to Art and Rick:

        > Thanks to both of you! A v. logical solution. Hmm, my files
are so
        > nested, sub-optimal for inclusion...I wonder if I can change
this with
        > an add-on like Timesavers...

        As long as you are generating a single PDF for each book (rather
than
        separate files for each chapter), you only have to ensure that
the
        book files are in the same directory (with all the chapter files
in the
        correct locations relative to their respective book files, of
course).
        When you're making a single PDF from each book, FrameMaker and
        Acrobat only resolve the relative file locations at the book
level. It
        doesn't matter haw the component files are organized below the
        book.

        Inter-book links can get pretty messy. One approach that works
well
        is to make a duplicate of each book and all its components in a
special
        "build" directory for the sole purpose of making the PDFs. Once
the
        PDFs have been checked, you can scrap the duplicate copies. And
        Bruce Foster's Archive tool makes it relatively painless to
collect up
        and make duplicates of all the files that comprise each book.

        -Fred Ridder