Responding to kgrace4715 at aol.com, Stuart Rogers wrote:

> You can easily import PDFs, but only by specifying one page at a time.
> A multi-page PDF would have to be broken up into many single-page PDFs
> (with reliably the same names from version to version) in order for your
> Import By Reference scenario to work. There may be a quick way to do
> that in Acrobat (or a macro in Word?), but I don't know it. In any
> case, if the page count of the source document changes, the workflow breaks.

Not quite correct. It is true that each page of a multi-page PDF must be
imported separately, but the original file does not have to be broken into
single-page PDF files to do this. If you tell FrameMaker to import a PDF that
has multiple pages, you are presented with a dialog that displays a miniature
of the selected page of the PDF and provides you with both a number box and a
slider bar for you to use to select the particular page you want to import.

And I have to believe that one can programmatically step through the pages in
an arbitray multi-page PDF via FrameScript or the FDK (although I have never
looked into this in the slightest).

-Fred Ridder