From: framers-bounces at lists.frameusers.com
[mailto:framers-boun...@lists.frameusers.com] On Behalf Of Matt Sullivan
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2009 9:40 PM
To: Alison Craig; 'William Abernathy'; framers at lists.frameusers.com
Subject: RE: Creating an FM9 Style to Apply Forced Page Breaks

In class, and in practice, I preach the "Design to 95% Perfect" rule.

If I can't handle any of my numbering, referencing, and pagination at arm's
length in my template, then I let it go. In my world, a consistent and
predictable 95% perfect beats an inconsistent frustrating 100% perfectly
formatted document every time.

Of course, I also tell my clients that I can help with everything but the
politics...including a supervisor who wants to make Frame (and the authors)
jump through hoops all day long for trivial formatting issues.

I'd suggest you attach a dollar figure to the time associated with the extra
formatting, double-checking required by the formatting, and time associated
with discussing the formatting. If management feels that sacraficing that
money and productivity is worth the nominal improvement in the
documentation, there's not much you can do, short of looking for job
postings here...

-Matt

Matt Sullivan
GRAFIX Training

matt at roundpeg.com
www.roundpeg.com
Office 714 960-6840
Cell & text 714 585-2335
SMS message 7145852335 at vtext.com

skype: mattatroundpeg
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/grafixtraining
facebook| plaxo

Click to tell me the social media sites you belong to