Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 15:02:52 -0400

From: David Dorbin <ddor...@gmail.com>

Subject: Beware the Inadvertent Global Search and Replace

To: framers at lists.frameusers.com

      <53bd0cb50910141202u199cdd63x9ac9bad94f3fecef at mail.gmail.com>

Argh.

Before I had Frame 9, I had Frame 7, and I used to would Find things thusly:

1. Press Ctrl-f

2. Start typing the text to find.

3. Press Enter.

Now in Frame 9, when I press ctrl-f, the Find/Change pod displays, but the
cursor is rarely waiting there in the text box. In fact, the "focus" seems to
be unpredictable.

This has bitten me a few times already. I hit ctrl-f and start typing, and
Frame decides that I meant to do a global search and replace. It might be that
I'm typing "c" and that activates the Change button. Lucky for me, I've usually
got the Document rather than the Book radio button selected, so it only makes
the change in the current chapter. And I can do a quick Undo Replace.

Lucky until today, that is. This time the Book radio button was lit up, and
Frame replaced x with y 27 times across all chapter files. And it opens each
one, makes the changes, and closes it, so there is no Undo. I had to open up
each of 18 chapter files, search for the replace text, evaluate each occurrence
with my actual mind to see if was one of the inadvertent replacements, and fix
it back.

Anyone else experienced this? Any advice, other than to slow down and to rely
less on keyboard shortcuts?

Dave D.

Callie Bertsche
Technical Writer