Maybe I'm reading Nina's original message slightly differently than others are,
but to me it was NOT clear that the old styles have been purged from the
documents, just that new formats were created and carefully applied to files'
content so that the obsolete formats were not used anywhere.? If this is
incorrect, then just hit delete now as the remainder of this doesn't apply.

If my interpretation is correct, that's a huge source for potential problems
and can explain how some of the recent edits by the new writer have resulted in
these "obsolete" formats reappearing.

The solution, as I see it is to take an existing document (template) with the
desired styles, and be absolutely sure to purge all unwanted info: formats for
paragraphs and character ranges, cross-reference styles, table definitions,
color options, master and reference pages, etc.??

Once you have a true, clean template, then you have a basis to use the
CleanImport utility on the documents, or using only Frame itself, open a virgin
document from the template and cut & paste content from a "bad" file, reapply
the new desired formats as necessary, and then save as the desired document.

? Les Smalley

--- On Thu, 10/15/09, Combs, Richard <richard.combs at Polycom.com> wrote:
Art Campbell wrote:

> I use CleanImport from electropubs.com to purge the existing catalogs
> before importing the valid set.

I'll second the recommendation of CleanImport -- a very useful tool, worth far
more than its modest price.

But I don't understand how formats that don't exist in Nina's documents
suddenly appear in those documents when her new associate opens them. Or
where they come from when he creates a document based on a template in
which they don't exist.

I think I'd want to watch very closely as the new writer opens a document. :-)

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom