So what tool(s) do you think does a better job with tables than FrameMaker?
I've used a lot of different tools over the years, and I find the FrameMaker
implementation to be the best one I've worked with, and one of the few that
actually handles a table as a self-contained object and not just a bunch of
paragraphs with boxes around them.
As to plug-ins, I think the FrameMaker model of providing robust, predictable
core functionality and leaving specialized to plug-ins is vastly preferable to
the Microsoft philosophy of building every conceivable feature into the
application itself. In addition to forcing all users to work around featurees
they don't need and will never use, it generally seems to lead to slower
performance and much lower stability.  It should also be noted that Adobe
embraces the third-party plug-in model for several of their products, including
their premier Photoshop and InDesign products.

I have been a power user of something like 15 different versions of Microsoft
Word on Macintosh, DOS, and Windows platforms over they years, and I currently
use both Word (2007) and FrameMaker on a daily basis, and the decision of which
one to take with me to the proverbial desert island would take me about a
millisecond.
-Fred Ridder