Syed, I think your math is right on. I can't understand why anyone would
pay more for a subscription that will render their software useless the
moment they stop paying. If they fall on hard times, the perpetual
license lets them at least keep working with their software as long as
they can keep a compatible operating system on an old computer.

If the issue is someone not being able to come up with the upgrade fee
all at once, and a monthly payment sounds more attractive, then they
should consider getting a short term bank loan (or put it on a credit
card) and pay the bank an even smaller monthly payment to buy the
perpetual license.

And here's another thing, if a company thinks a monthly subscription is
a better to budget, they might also want to think about the resale value
of their company, should they ever want to sell it. A perpetual license
is an asset that can be resold and adds value to a company. A
subscription is future liability that reduces its value. If, as an
individual, they ever want to stop using FrameMaker, they can resell
their personal perpetual license and get some of their money back. Not
so with a subscription.

I used to buy every upgrade of Creative Suite until it switched to the
Creative Cloud model. Now, CS6 is my last purchase in that line. I won't
pay big money for software that turns off completely if I stop paying.
I've also bought every FM upgrade since version 6, except for v10, which
offered no features that I needed. I will be buying the FM 12 upgrade
for sure. But I will be done buying if FM ever goes to the
subscription-only model.

Those of you buying subscriptions are making it more and more likely
that the rest of us will lose the perpetual upgrade option in the near
future. If you look at how hard Adobe is trying to get people to buy
subscriptions, you will see that it is their desire to move FrameMaker
to that model. Let's not let them take away our choices.

Mike