Ah .. so aren't they "DITA" files rather than FM files? If they are DITA files and are in the same ditamap which is built into the same book then PDF .. then yes, just insert a fm-xref, select the target DITA file, then select the target element, and you should be good to go!

But this doesn't work with FM files and especially with unstructured FM files.

Cheers,
...scott