Okay. So you're working in structured FM files (pseudo-DITA) generated from an FMx book-build. And you're adding a "link" to an unstructured FM file that's been added to the generated book? I think I get it now.

In this case, adding an fm-xref won't likely work (might, but I've never tried what you're doing, and modifying generated files is typically not a great idea since the edits are lost the next time you generate from DITA). What you've got now are two FM files .. just insert a "Cross-Reference" (regular FM type .. forget that this was DITA and is structured), and see what happens.

Technically, the fm-xref is an FM Cross-Reference object, so that might actually work, but if not, just resort to good old FM techniques.

...scott