What do they hope to accomplish by doing that?

The only sane reason I know would be that you deliver only as PDF
and/or print and want to be able to tweak it to get more visually
distinctive results than you get with FrameMaker.

There's a service that will do the conversion:
http://www.dtptools.com/product.asp?id=mfid