Regrettably, that isn't necessarily true. A lot of the folks who use InD are first and foremost *designers*, and have no qualms about hand-formatting everything on the page to produce a lovely composition.

Yes! I've indeed worked with InDesign designers who have every format manually applied. Their idea of a "template" is simply a copy/paste of a previous doc. It's horrible to work with their files. I've ended up creating my own properly structured/styled InDesign templates and treating their files as content source material, just as I do when I work with people in Word. It's no different.

-Monique