I've heard that Save as PDF was unreliable since I think 5.5, but it
always worked fine for me. There was a time when all the files in a
book had to be open.

Co-workers who had problems had something other than Adobe PDF or a
non-clone PostScript printer set as the default printer, or their PDF
job options were wrong. I helped people with those issues so many
times I created web pages for them.

http://lauriston.com/PDF_instructions.html

http://lauriston.com/framemaker_tips.html