Hi Framers,
I'm hoping somebody has had some experience in moving FrameMaker books into
Confluence. Out-of-the-box, Confluence only supports import from Word docs, so
the approaches are to either save as RTF and then to Word, or save as PDF and
then to Word. PDF appears to be the better intermediary format as we can import
a complete book at a time, but maintaining the formatting during the import is
approximate at best.
Numbered lists are particularly problematic, and strange things happen to
graphics and tables. The best option we've been able to find so far is to open
PDFs directly in Word and save as docx. This preserves the numbered lists after
the Confluence import, except that the extras embedded in a list, such as
graphics, notes, etc. break the numbering. A soft return can fix things by
joining the extras to the numbered paragraph above, but the process is clumsy.
Other issues are that we lose all of our cross references and special
formatting such as monospaced fonts for code examples. There doesn't seem to be
any options for mapping the formats during the import.
Another issue has been PDFs that were used as graphics in the source FM files.
While they look great in an FM to PDF save as, Confluence doesn't know what to
do with them. We have a workaround by initially saving the PDF images as PNGs.
We then save each of the FM docs as MIF, replace .pdf with .png in the MIF
text, and then resave the MIF as FM, but that's also long-winded. If somebody
knows of a way to get Confluence work with PDF images, that would be cool.
As background, we're using Frame 2015 for general production, but some of the
team also have 2017. We also have the latest versions of Acrobat and the Office
products.
Thanks in advance,

Brian Shaw
Technical Writer | Delivery Systems