Jeremy Griffith agreed with me on that. FM8 was the main version he
used to test MIF2Go.

All versions from FM9 on have the buggy UI layer that required me to
constantly take my hands off the keyboard.

Maxwell Hoffman followed up in 2012 and promised to get them fixed,
but they didn't make much progress, and then he moved to MadCap. To my
knowledge, it's still impossible to drive from the keyboard.