It's more than "Oxford style." The use of a serial comma is covered in the
Chicago Manual of Style. Per entry 5.50: "In a series consisting of three or
more elements, the elements are separated by commas. When a conjunction joins
the last two elements in a series, a comma is used before the conjunction." The
British "The Economist Style Guide" specifically directs writers to NOT use a
serial comma.

I have followed the serial comma rule since I went from being a newspaper
journalist to being a technical writer nearly 30 years ago. My personal opinion
is that the serial comma can be optional, but whether it is used or no used
must be consistent throughout any document or book. We have been using it for
more than 30 years. I see no need to change.

Tom Beiswenger
Project Manager, Manager IB Technical Documentation

Emhart Glass Inc.
74 Kahler Road North • Horseheads NY 14845 • USA
Telephone 1 607 735 2551 • Mobile +1 607 769 4779
Fax +1 607 735 2601
tom.beiswen...@emhartglass.com
www.bucheremhartglass.com
www.bucherindustries.com