There's nothing wrong with "RS-485-compliant." The first hyphen is
part of the noun "RS-485," the second forms a phrasal adjective.

This isn't really grammar, it's an arbitrary punctuation rule that
varies from one style guide to another. Some might use en dashes
instead of hyphens.

Are you sure you want "connects to" rather than simply "connects"?