On May 2, 2006, at 5:27 AM, Daniel Nouri wrote:
Rocky Burt wrote:
On Mon, 2006-01-05 at 19:20 -0700, Rob Miller wrote:
On May 1, 2006, at 4:19 PM, Rocky Burt wrote:
On Tue, 2006-02-05 at 01:08 +0200, Hanno Schlichting wrote:

To summarize some of the discussion we had on IRC just now, here
is our
current idea, for all those people not spending their life in online
channels ;)

As an example we used the structure for the contextualhelp product,
which was developed at the sprint:

This should go into the "http://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/"; repository
under the name "plone.contextualhelp":

http://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/plone.contextualhelp/trunk
http://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/plone.contextualhelp/trunk/src
http://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/plone.contextualhelp/trunk/src/ plone
http://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/plone.contextualhelp/trunk/src/
plone/contextualhelp

http://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/plone.contextualhelp/branches
http://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/plone.contextualhelp/tags

The trunk folder itself should contain release scripts, like setup.py
and the real source should be in a /src subfolder. It has a plone
subfolder, so it is obvious that to import anything from this package
you have to use "from plone.contextualhelp import *".

If we can agree on this, we should probably post this to the devel
list
with some more explanation (which can grow into a chapter in the dev
manual ;)

+1 to all of this.  Except of course for the line "from
plone.contextualhelp import *".  If I see code importing * I will
promptly scream :)

i'm okay with most of this, except for the extra 'plone' level in the
src tree.  it's implied in the plone.contextualhelp directory name,
IMO, no need for an empty, duplicate folder level.

I'm not sure of all the practical reasoning for requiring the 'plone'
level in the src tree but all the regular python packaging I've seen
that uses a toplevel package does provide that dir in their src
directory so part of this would merely be for consistency's sake.

Look at more of the zope.* whatever pkgs in svn.zope.org and see for
yourself.

Right, `plone` would be our namespace[1] package. This makes very much sense in the context of setuptools/distutils. (It's nice to know *why*
zope3 people do the things they do ;)

However, having src/ is really a matter of taste.

ah, okay, well in that case i'd argue for 'plone' instead of 'src'. i could live with it as it's described above, so if there are good reasons to use the entire structure then fine, but if we can eliminate unnecessary directories then i'd rather do so.

-r