Dear Framework Team,

we submitted the following plip:

http://plone.org/products/plone/roadmap/215

We suggest to use the following new kss package versions for Plone 3.1:

kss.core

New kss.core version 1.4, currently on trunk, will be ready to be
released in January. At the moment the code is testable on trunk.

Key improvements that come with the new version are:

    * faster page load with base2
    * syntax improvements, eg. recursive value providers, comma
separated  selectors

Risks

Because new kss.core uses base2 instead of CSSQuery for CSS selectors,
there might be some incompatibilities even though the packages claim to
implement the same CSS3 API.

(ree: I must add that Godefroid is extremely cautious here, we have
evidence of known cssQuery issues that are fixed in base2 but not the
other way. Base2 is also available for testing with kss since long ago on
the Plone trunk, with no issues reported so far.)

This is a low risk though :  it might
only imply to fix a minority of selectors in custom K stylesheets and
server actions.

plone.app.kss

Plone.app.kss is currently split into two packages, plone.app.kss and
archetypes.kss. The goal is to get rid of archetypes.kss and also
reorganize the content of the package. Since there is few things to
import directly from the packages, bbb will not be a problem. This way we
have things in one place.

About this last issue I have a particular question. If I do all this,
still two things will be separate from the plone.app.kss package:

- GS profiles that set up the js, kss - still in Products.CMFPlone

- the *.kss that are in skins in Products.CMFPlone.

Do you have any suggestion on how these could best be moved inside
plone.app.kss? Maybe a GS profile in the product would be a good solution
for both resources and skins?

--
Balazs Ree