Hanno Schlichting <hanno...@hannosch.eu>
writes:

> Thanks for taking the initiative here.
>
> I'll not gonna make it to todays tune-up nor the conf call, though :(

Four of us (calvinhp, ErikRose, ErikRose, zenwryly) made it to the
meeting and came up with a few things to act on.  I'll briefly describe
them here so we can discuss.

Some of the discussion centered around possible changes or
clarifications to the PLIP process.  This begged the question, where is
PLIP procedure documented?

As hanno said:

> I tried to take the initiative back in January to incorporate the
> changed process from the Plone 3.x framework team and required
> adjustments for the 4.0 process into our official process
> documentation.  The discussion hasn't been very fruitful and ended
> without a clear result.

So we need to determine the official home for the PLIP process
documentation and evaluate the status of that which calvinhp said he'd
take the lead on.

Since the Americans refused to distinguish themselves with clearly
recognizable accents :) , I'm not sure whether it was calvinhp or
ErikRose who suggested that we start sort of public presentation of
changes happening in Plone 4.  The main goal is to reduce surprises.  We
agreed that an informal process of blogging in more widely accessible
language about what makes it into the ChangeLog would be good.  This
could also be a way to collect feedback as well.  Discussion through
blog comments may become a problem but we'll tackle that if it comes to
Pass.  ErikRose said he'd take the lead on this.

So far, much of the Plone 4 work has happened in narrower circles to
free it up for prototyping, visioning, and imagining new approaches.
This has been in part to isolate such a process from the paralysis that
can come from discussion of edge cases or disagreements which are more
proper and valuable at a later stage.  I raised a concern that as we
start presenting this work more publicly, we should think about
communicating and setting expectations for the impact of the backwards
incompatible changes.  I proposed adding an explicit, formalized part of
the PLIP procedure for community impact assessments.  I'd love a better
name, but the idea is a place to communicate to the various parts of
Plone communities (developers, integrators, themers, users, etc.),
"Here's what you need to know to update your code/skills.  Here's where
to find documentation."  I offered to take the lead on this.

The last item concerned future meetings.  When should we do this meeting
in the future?  Every other week or every third work?  Thursday?
Friday?  Would all of the FWT members weigh in with both preferences and
outright scheduling conflicts for future meetings.  Then we can
reconcile that information and schedule a regular meeting.

Those present on the call can add details in response to this message
and discussions can start from there.

Ross