Hanno Schlichting <hanno...@hannosch.eu>
writes:

>> So far, much of the Plone 4 work has happened in narrower circles to
>> free it up for prototyping, visioning, and imagining new approaches.
>> This has been in part to isolate such a process from the paralysis that
>> can come from discussion of edge cases or disagreements which are more
>> proper and valuable at a later stage.  I raised a concern that as we
>> start presenting this work more publicly, we should think about
>> communicating and setting expectations for the impact of the backwards
>> incompatible changes.  I proposed adding an explicit, formalized part of
>> the PLIP procedure for community impact assessments.  I'd love a better
>> name, but the idea is a place to communicate to the various parts of
>> Plone communities (developers, integrators, themers, users, etc.),
>> "Here's what you need to know to update your code/skills.  Here's where
>> to find documentation."  I offered to take the lead on this.
>
> Sounds good. I think this is a logical extension of the "Documentation
> Impact" section we added to the 3.3 PLIP process.

Yeah, I'm now finding myself rethinking "documentation".  It might help
focus to think of it as "communication", where the problem being solved
is communicating to the wider community.

> One of the things I'd like to have a more important role in the PLIP
> process is the "upgrade guide" we have on plone.org. I think taking the
> "What's New" documentation from Python
> (http://docs.python.org/whatsnew/2.6.html) as an example could be
> valuable here. I tried to introduce this to Zope2 at
> http://docs.zope.org/zope2/releases/2.12/WHATSNEW.html with the chapters
> written about Acquisition and IContainer changes.

That's an excellent point to tie into.  If we do most of the work as a
part of the PLIP, then that'll increase the likelihood of effective
documentation making it into such an "upgrade guide".

> This kind of information is probably best written by a combination of
> the documentation team as we've done it for Plone 3.3 with more
> involvement of the PLIP authors themselves.

Yeah, I just want to make sure that it's *structurally* a part of the
PLIP process.

Ross