The avant-garde film scene in this town has
really degenerated in the last ten years. I took
a break for a while to work on other things, and
when I came back I found that the scene I knew
and loved had fallen on hard times.

I can't recommend San Francisco as a place to
find new and exciting avant-garde motion picture
events. The venues Steve mentioned seem to be
stuck in the 60's. I have nothing against
structuralism, etc. per se, but frankly I see a
lack of imagination and an inability to embrace
new methods. This is an ill omen.

Don't come here expecting a vibrant community.
It's stodgy, eccentric, self-absorbed, insular,
and profoundly unimaginative. The old guard have
no mojo left in them, and the young people are
too busy fluffing their Burning Man costumes to do anything revolutionary.

Aaron