From: 40 Frames <i...@40frames.org>
Subject: Re: [Frameworks] Article: The Last film camera
To: "Experimental Film Discussion List" <frameworks@jonasmekasfilms.com>
Date: Wednesday, October 12, 2011, 11:46 AM

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 8:55 AM, Lars Fuchs <edi...@klipper.tv> wrote:

This isn't good news.
http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/film-fading-to-black

As Tom mentioned, the impact will not be as great at the margins (Frameworks),
but yes we are all part of the samefilm ecosystem... so parts and information
(particularly for Aaton, Arri) will be harder and harder to come by... though
I get the sense that limited support is still part of current business model.
In the last year or two, Jakko (JK), George Zorzoli (Optical-Electro House) and
Man-sung (SMS) have all retired, yet there are
others around to pick up the work. Actually, Man-sung still does service work,
but now out of his home.
If it's any consolation, Eclair NPR and many Bolex cameras, now out of
production for decades, are being supported by a
small group of camera technicians internationally and several small parts
supplies. And much to my surprise CP camerasare still being supported.
Having owned a number of 16mm cameras (Aaton, Bell & Howell, Bolex, CP, Eclair
and a few others), it's the "lesser" cameras
that support our work, as most all Aaton cameras and the newer Arriflex (SR
series, 416) have always been expensive to own, maintain, repair and rent.
There might still be a good 10 year run... maybe longer.... enjoy it while it
lasts.

Alain

--
40 FRAMES