While its certainly flammable and should be treated with caution I think there
is a lot of misinformation about the danger of nitrate film and people are
equating it with nitroglycerin. As shown in this thread there are more
occurrences of people storing this nitrate film 'improperly' for decades
without harm. How many stories have we heard of a lost silent film being found
in barn somewhere? Keep it in a can, put away your cigarettes when you look at
it and you'll be alright.

I think someone posted this link before but here is a good essay/book review on
nitrate film:

http://www.horschamp.qc.ca/new_offscreen/dangerous_film.html