Speaking of Meshes of the Afternoon, I have a question to throw out
to the list. One shot has always bugged me, because as far as I know,
Deren and Hammid made this film entirely on their own, filming each
other. Deren even made her own clothes (they do not look dated in the
1940s, as his do). The shot that bugs me is the only one in which you
see both of them: he stretches out his hands to pull her out of the
chair. Maybe it's not his hands, or maybe someone else is filming;
the camera is not on a tripod. Any ideas?

- Pip Chodorov