The only other (8mm) filmmaker that I personally knew back then who stumbled onto the black leader splice patch was Micheal Stewart .

The black leader ended up only covering the splice, nothing else. It was a pretty cool technique.

Myron Ort

On Feb 25, 2012, at 11:05 AM, Mark Toscano wrote:

I think Lenny Lipton even mentions the black frame method of hiding splices in Independent Filmmaking. It was definitely not something limited to Brakhage.

Mark

From: Myron Ort <z...@sonic.net>
To: Experimental Film Discussion List <frameworks@jonasmekasfilms.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2012 10:38 AM
Subject: Re: [Frameworks] new post on Brakhage

(A-Roll editing of original with no workprint approach):
When you cannot hide a splice by covering with the next shot (being
dense enough or distracting enough), it is possible to splice in 1 or
2 frames of black leader. In fact it was  (is) even possible to
splice what amounted to a "patch" of black leader  just over the the
splice itself.
I edited an entire 8mm film using these black leader "patches", and
knew other filmmakers who were doing the same thing in the 60s.

(Any more than 2 frames and it draws another type of attention.)
Sometimes two frames of black between shots, as some kind of tiny
pause,  just looks better somehow, aside from the splice hiding.)

(with acetate based material, it helped to know that you could make
back to back or emulsion to emulsion-side cement splices along with
the usual technique, especially when constructing something with
varied materials, A-wind, B-wind, etc.

Myron Ort