an inter-negative is still a "reproduction" subject to the qualities
of the film stock and the available technology to make it from the
original.  The original is ultimately fugitive and undergoes changes
as does the internegative and certainly the prints.  The museum would
need to own and care for the fragile artifact the same way they
struggle to preserve some master 2-D work done on bad paper with
inappropriate enamels like they must do with some important early
Abstract Expressionist work.

The film "commodity" would have to be dealt with in a way that even a
great piece of photography does not require.  Museums do not need to
own original negatives of photographic prints do they?
I am thinking that the very nature of film and the experience of it
is somehow inherently outside of this commodity model and better kept
within the "democratic" model, since it is all "reproduction" on one
level or another.

Photographic reproduction of paintings do not contain the ultimate
subtle nuance of the pigments on the canvas (which themselves are
subject to age over long periods of time).  My experience during the
era when there were plenty of film labs, was that even then every
print was slightly different.
Most people know and learn first about art history from reproductions
in books, and hopefully, are encouraged to see and experience as much
work in the live form as possible, but let us not underestimate the
reality and importance of these various forms of reproduction, which
may ultimately have to include digital technology for the
dissemination of the basic "information". Then hopefully one can
ideally see a film or two at a museum somewhere. Meanwhile an awful
lot can be experienced and learned from these  other forms of
reproduction.  Currently there is hardly enough readily available
digitally formatted material to get much of an overview of the whole
scope of experimental/avant garde film. Its all economic I guess.
First from the struggling filmmakers who are trying to get some money
for all their efforts and sacrifices to the high cost of making good
quality DVDs with a questionable market to justify the expense.
Which does make me wonder what the "numbers" are for Criterion's
involvement in the Brakhage anothologies I and II. eg. how much did
it cost to produce, how much was made, etc. did the numbers really
work out, apparently so???? What is the potential then for the rest
of the work in the overall genre? Would such democratic availability
then totally destroy the museum commodity model....  well maybe no,
books on Van Gogh just make the lines for the museum show just that
much longer around the block.......

sorry I am just thinking out loud,  meandering, procrastinating while
I should be doing something else. normally I just delete such
thoughts without posting.... too many rigid pedantic sharks out
there, but what the hell....

Myron Ort