Hey Kevin,
I seem to recall that Alex MacKenzie used a hand-cranked projector for a
performance called "the wooden lightbox: a secret art of seeing" at last year's
(2011) Crossroads Film Festival.  I think Alex made the projector himself so
maybe he can be a resource for you: www.alexmackenzie.com
Good luck!
CH