Also Burckhardt's "Under the Brooklyn Bridge" and "What Mozart Saw on Mulberry
Street"

From: frameworks-boun...@jonasmekasfilms.com
[mailto:frameworks-boun...@jonasmekasfilms.com] On Behalf Of Andy Ditzler
Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2013 12:20 PM
To: Experimental Film Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Frameworks] voyeurism / street photography in exp cinema

Hi Matt,

It's been awhile since I've seen Rudy Burckhardt's "Eastside Summer," but it's
spontaneous street photography (lovely, 1950s NYC footage).

I wonder, though, if by "recording people on the street," etc., you mean that
the filmmaker is shooting one particular spot, or one person, or one activity.
That would be different than Burckhardt et al. I would think more of the
sequence from Jim McBride's "David Holzman's Diary" for which the cameraman
(Michael Wadleigh) shot a handheld 'tracking shot' while walking past a row of
park benches, filming the people sitting on them. This documentary footage (a
single long take) is then incorporated into the film's fictional context as if
it were shot by the film's protagonist.

Andy Ditzler

On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 2:13 PM, matt's frameworks address