One of my grad students, Marina Hassapopoulou, has just finished a dissertation
about Interactive Cinema, where she talks extensively about such lost works and
also about the problems of "remediation" (representation of these works in
forms and on platforms other than the original).  She traces the history of IC
starting in the 50s and 60s and reconstructs what she can from the documents
available about these works and their presentation.  It's all very interesting
stuff.

Another former student who might prefer to remain nameless was talking about
the situation of digital works that had been acquired by MoMA.  Apparently they
only collected the media (like DVD-ROMs) and didn't have the foresight to think
about the hardware and software necessary to play them back.  Not sure what
kind of progress they're making on creating emulators or digging up the
original technology since she told me about this several years ago, but it is
an interesting (and obvious) dilemma.

Isn't this why we on this list are making works on super 8mm and 16mm?  No
worries about my 40-year-old projectors suddenly being incompatible with my
prints...

R.