I think Tarkovksy's *The Mirror *would be worth investigating. Apparently,
he based the film all on his own personal memories. What impressed me most
about the film was that the narrative was just as flawed as memory itself
is. For instance, the same actors will play different characters that span
several generations...all without any explanation. The film can be
confusing if you're looking for a plot or narrative thread, but I think it
accurately captures the way in which memory melds facts, dreams and
sensation together. At any rate it is very beautiful to see and experience.

-JH