The problem could be that you're digital camera was shooting in a colour
space like 4:2:0 or somesuch which makes keying work difficult. Maybe the
key wasn't pulled, or couldn't be pulled well. Downsampling to SD is a
terrible idea. There may be other solutions, the obvious one would be to
filter it in Premiere, soften it there and keep it at HD. It's really
difficult to say, there are always many different ways to 'fix' things,
could you show us some frame grabs that show the problem ?

You can always get the look you want without sacrificing things down to a
lesser medium.