Hey Adrian,

First of all, kudos to you for your attempts. Austin needs a dedicated ag
film program. Second, you may be aware that we've been doing screenings of
experimental work, almost always in it's original format (digital, Super 8,
16, 35). If you haven't been, you should come out to our screenings and say
hey! : ercatx.org

Regarding Bolex info: there's tons all over the web.

bolexcollector.com has a bunch of information regarding serial numbers,
differences between models, etc.

Filmmaker Joel Schlemowitz (who we'll be hosting at Farewell Books on Sept.
7th) has a great site detailing the ins and outs of its operation:
https://sites.google.com/site/joelschlemowitz/bolex

Prices to getting one... depends. Ebay obviously, but I also see them on
craigslist from time to time, including some in Austin that were cheaper
than what I'd expect (depending on how good of shape it's in).

I think UT still teaches a couple classes on 16mm; the UT Art Store still
has some 16mm film stock, and materials too. And obviously, remember that
you don't need a camera to make a film.

Also... while the Bolex is a very nice, sturdy machine that gives you a
good amount of control, that shouldn't stop you from looking into other
kinds of cameras too. While it seems to be the official camera of the
avant-garde, don't let fetish get in the way of making things. The bolex
works good for me, but I've always been curious about other machines... If
you want to work with film, why not start with Super 8, or for that matter,
no camera at all? You can some film material from the UT Art-Coop and you
can try out a couple things from Helen Hill's Recipes for
Disaster<http://www.angoleiro.com/cine_texts/recipes_for_disaster_hill.pdf>
(pdf
link). Then all you need is a projector. Hell, even those crappy,
over-priced lomo-kino cameras will give you a sense of the discipline that
comes with working with film, which is one of it's more important
pedagogical qualities.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I hope it's a start! Feel
free to get in touch off list.

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 10:29 AM, Adrian Yepez <ad.ye...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My name is Adrian. I live in Austin, TX and I'm currently a student at my
> community college, Austin Community College (or ACC), and I need some help
> as to where a good starting point would be when it comes to researching
> Bolex cameras. Yesterday I pitched an idea to my two RTF professors about
> starting up a club that's involved in investing in vintage film equipment
> for the RTF students at ACC to have access to and start up an experimental
> film portion of the RTF program. One professor absolutely loved the idea of
> having that aspect as part of the RTF Program and deeply encouraged me to
> actually make this club happen. But on the other hand my other professor
> gave me the harsh realities as to why that would never work. Unfortunately
> I won't go into detail as to why that wouldn't work, but I left his office
> with my head pointed to the sky because I believe it can actually work. I
> mean why not right? My goal is learn to how to use and know as much
> information about old Bolex cameras. I want film to still be alive and used
> by students, regardless if they're from a community college or not, to not
> only have on their résumé but as an amazing experience as well. A student
> that diversifies themselves by having the experience of both worlds would
> truly give them a wider perspective in the film industry. So Im reaching
> out to anybody that is willing to give me a good starting point I would
> most appreciate it! Please anybody! Thank you.
>
> -Adrian
>
> SAVE FILM! SAVE THE PAST! PROTECT THE VINTAGE CRAFT!
>
> Sent from my iPhone

ekrem serdar
austin, tx