The "Treasures" series has a few docs that might be considered experimental, as well as the "Unseen" box; and the four volumes of Johan van der Keuken are loaded with extraordinary essayistic inventions.

-----Original Message----- From: David Tetzlaff
Sent: Thursday, January 02, 2014 4:19 PM
To: Experimental Film Discussion List
Subject: [Frameworks] Looking to build a list of 'ExperimentalDocumentaries' on video

I'm looking to help a friend do research on the history of documentary, and I'd like to introduce him to some of the more experimental side of the form. For his purposes, the work needs to available on video: he needs to see stuff, not just read about it, and he needs to be able to pull decent quality clips for presentation. So I'm not looking for more purely experimental films that have some actuality footage, but something more readily recognizable under a (very) broad rubric of 'documentary'.

Something like "Sonic Outlaws' or "Odds of Recovery" would be pretty central examples. About as far down the experimental scale I'd want to get would be such films as "Window Water Baby Moving" or "Sink or Swim." (Thus, for example, "Thigh Line Lyre Triangular" is too 'far out' for this purpose.) I'd also welcome suggestions for essay-form docs beyond Marker (which I've already got). Another example of such might be Mulvey's 'Frida Kahlo / Tina Modotti"

With those loose guidelines, feel free to recommend away without worrying too much about the 'fit'. I can/will edit the recs I pass on...

TIA!