If you're interested in recent & short form - my series "The Observatory",
I believe, meets your criteria. I'm not a well-represented "somebody", not
sure if that matters, but my work is adding to the discussion of
non-fiction film without being too "out there" (or that's my motivation to
say the least).

http://bryanmcmanus.com/THE-OBSERVATORY

Good luck! - Also - am interested in your final list if you care to post it!

-Bryan

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 5:19 PM, David Tetzlaff <djte...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm looking to help a friend do research on the history of documentary,
> and I'd like to introduce him to some of the more experimental side of the
> form. For his purposes, the work needs to available on video: he needs to
> see stuff, not just read about it, and he needs to be able to pull decent
> quality clips for presentation. So I'm not looking for more purely
> experimental films that have some actuality footage, but something more
> readily recognizable under a (very) broad rubric of 'documentary'.
>
> Something like "Sonic Outlaws' or "Odds of Recovery" would be pretty
> central examples. About as far down the experimental scale I'd want to get
> would be such films as "Window Water Baby Moving" or "Sink or Swim." (Thus,
> for example, "Thigh Line Lyre Triangular" is too 'far out' for this
> purpose.) I'd also welcome suggestions for essay-form docs beyond Marker
> (which I've already got). Another example of such might be Mulvey's 'Frida
> Kahlo / Tina Modotti"
>
> With those loose guidelines, feel free to recommend away without worrying
> too much about the 'fit'. I can/will edit the recs I pass on...
>
> TIA!

Bryan McManus *|* Filmmaker, Artist
call  828.508.1129
write  bryanhaysmcma...@gmail.com