Oh, and thank you Chris as well.

Power Director takes around 9 hours to render it, so I assumed that was
compressing it. That is longer than when I used my 2003 Mac from what I recall.

On Tue, 3/18/14, David Tetzlaff <djte...@gmail.com> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [Frameworks] Uploading long dv video online, youtube, etc.
 To: "Experimental Film Discussion List" <frameworks@jonasmekasfilms.com>,
"Michele Smith" <wovenfi...@yahoo.com>
 Date: Tuesday, March 18, 2014, 7:48 PM

 > I'm using cyber direct power
 director, a pretty basic software. You can upload directly
 online, which I have had no problem doing until now, with
 the longer work. My tech abilities are not much far more
 advanced than on/off.

 Alas, in today's mediascape 'on/off' doesn't cut it. If you
 want to distribute work in video anywhere, be it online or
 festivals or whatnot, you need to know some basic things
 about digital video technology. Google is your friend. At a
 minimum, you need to know the difference between a container
 and a codec, and the differences between different codecs
 used for video work.

 Your editing program probably has you working in whatever
 codec your camera records in: DV, HDV, AVCHD... The default
 output codec will be whatever was used in the project
 timeline, and that's going to be too big, at too high a data
 rate, for an effective upload of a longer piece to YouTube
 or other web hosts.

 As others have noted, you should transcode your finished
 piece into the H264 codec before uploading it to the web.
 H264 is a compression format, and there are different
 software tools for creating H264 streams from your finished
 video. These are called 'encoders' and they're not separate
 programs, but are components built-in to either a specific
 program or a system-wide video tool. I'd guess PowerDirector
 has an H264 encoder built-in. If you have Quicktime on your
 PC and export your file as QT, you have a choice to encode
 it with Quicktime's H264 encoder. The thing is, all H264
 encoders are not created equal -- some work much better than
 others, producing better-looking results with smaller file
 sizes. Apple's H264 encoder is notoriously mediocre -- it
 doesn't suck, but it's not at the top of the heap.

 What you want is a freeware software encoder called x264.
 It's a little geeky, and as a Mac person, I have no idea how
 to install it on a PC. You might be able to access it
 directly from within PowerDirector once you get it
 installed, or not. Your best bet is to DL the freeware video
 transcoder Handbrake, which has x264 built in. That way you
 don't have to mess with anything else. (The Handbrake
 installer will prompt you to DL any external files it needs,
 just say 'OK', if/when it asks permission.) Once you have
 that installed, output your film from PowerDirector in it's
 native codec and container, and then transcode it for the
 web with Handbrake. x264 has LOTS of settings, almost all of
 which you can ignore. All you need to do in the x264
 settings within Handbrake is set the frame-rate to whatever
 the project is in (29.97 or 23.98 unless you're in Europe),
 and select one of the quality presets: choose 'Slow' or
 'Slower' unless you're really anal-retentive about image
 quality and are willing to wait a very long time for the
 transcode to finish, in which case you can use 'Very Slow'.
 Then in the Handbrake settings make sure the output
 resolution is set to whatever you want -- usually whatever
 you worked in: 1920x1080 or 1280x720 for HD. If your
 original is Interlaced (1080i) convert it to Progressive,
 which will play better on a computer screen. Another option
 you might want to use eventually is "Limit Data Rate" but
 just go with the default for now.

 You'll need to specify a container format to save the
 Handbrake file (.MP4 .MOV .MKV...). AFAIK, YouTube's
 ingestion system is agnostic in regard to containers and
 will take anything you might choose. I use .MP4 because
 it'll play on pretty much any platform or player software.
 (Most Macs aren't equipped to play .MKV and a lot of PCs
 aren't equipped to play .MOV).

 I just went to YouTube and typed 'handbrake tutorial' in the
 search field, which yielded "About 58,300 results". Some of
 these are probably lousy or even wrong, but if you start
 with the ones with the most page views you can probably get
 some decent guidance.

 One benefit of making your own H264 file before upping to
 YouTube is you'll know what it's going to look like on the
 web, as YT will do little or nothing to the actual video
 data. If you upload something in a less-compressed codec,
 YouTube will automatically transcode it based on their own
 algorithms, which can yield yucky-looking results in some
 cases...