Brakhage's "Lovemaking" was not banned; rather, Stan pulled it from
distribution himself. (source: Scott MacDonald's Critical Cinema interview)

I recently screened Jan Nemec's "A Report on the Party and the Guests" -
one of a handful of Czech 60s films to receive the official designation
"banned forever" from the government there. (Obviously, forever didn't
last.) (Accounts differ on what the other films were, but some include
Evald Schorm's "Courage Everyday.")

It can be tricky separating out (speaking about here in the U.S.) instances
of outright banning from neglect and suppression for commercial reasons,
from censorship by private as well as government agencies. My understanding
is that L'Age D'Or was unavailable for decades because Bunuel's patron was
scandalized by it, more than from any "ban." (The effect, of course, is the
same.) It also can be hard to find concrete evidence of banned films. For
example, Fuses is the kind of film that seems like it would have run into
problems, but I don't recall ever reading accounts of outright banning (as
opposed to the many instances of audience outrage). Same with Christmas on
Earth - intended to be destroyed by its author, yes, but actually banned?

A few years ago, my collective presented a site-specific screening of
Warhol's Lonesome Cowboys, near the site of its 1969 bust by Atlanta (and
Georgia state) police. The film was seized, the projectionist arrested, and
the audience was lined up and photographed (yes!). The film re-appeared
later in the year, with cuts (according to Variety). I think that counts as
censorship (of the whole film as well as the cut scenes).

Un Chant D'Amour was according to historical accounts intentionally
projected by Mekas together with Flaming Creatures to trigger a bust and
court case which he thought could be won. Genet's literary reputation was
key in that gambit.

My understanding of Frank's Cocksucker Blues is that it was suppressed by
the Stones themselves. Perhaps others on the list will know more about
this.

The New York State Censorship Office's rejection of Deren/Hammid's The
Private Life of a Cat (for a birth scene) was one of the reasons that Amos
Vogel converted Cinema 16 to a private membership club (i.e., film
society). With such a club, he no longer had to submit films to the censor
board before screening.

Andy Ditzler
www.filmlove.org
www.johnq.org
Graduate Institute of the Liberal Arts, Emory University