Hi Adam,

I've been using one of the iSkysoft products. There are a couple for
mac, Video Converter and Media Converter, which work with yosemite.
These are commercial, but affordable, $40 to $60 or something like
that, and will convert pretty much anything, with flexible settings and
good results. They also capture/download streaming video from
websites. One, if not both, will rip DVDs directly to a .mov -- but not
ProRes, so you'd still need to do that with Quicktime. It's a consumer
product, so easy interface and presets for all kinds of device/online
formats, but you can ignore them and set exact specs. Also way faster
than handbrake and others I've used.

Cheers,

Todd