Three is a severe limitation, but if you insist, one way to get at it is to
start not with films but with major traditions since mid-century and select
exemplary works within them. So for example abstract (Brakhage), minimalist
(Warhol, Wavelength), essayistic (Marker, Farocki, Forgacs). I include
Brakhage’s lens-captured films in the problematic “abstract."