Frameworkers!

If you're near Chicago, we would love *love* love to see you at the LIVE TO
TAPE ARTIST TELEVISION FESTIVAL. From May 18-24th, we're hosting
screenings, performances, live talk shows and more at Links Hall.
Representing more than sixty artists over forty years, we're taking an
expanded look at what artist television is, has been and can be.

Here
<http://myemail.constantcontact.com/The-Live-to-Tape-Artist-Television-Festival--Seven-Days-of-TV-Shows--Psychedelic-Cartoons--Cable-Excess--and-Ecstatic-Static.html?soid=1102463374548&aid=v7Rc-vCR81w>
is a press release (for those like those kinds of things);
Here <http://livetotapefestival.tumblr.com/fullfestivalschedule> is a full
schedule;
Here <http://linkshall.ticketfly.com/search/?q=live> is a link to buy full
festival passes (only $35 for eight programs!) and individual tickets.

Best,
Jesse

Below is a quickie teaser of the schedule:

Monday, May 18, 7 pm - AESTHLETICS

Sports remains America’s favourite sport. And we, its public, are a set all
our own—ready to guffaw and to indulge even the dopiest situations,
predictable stunt casting and what-a-misunderstandings because we need the
eggs, because it’s sublime to see a couch from the couch. We’re here to
watch games, to watch the unending machinations of humans in intractable
situations, trying to be best and bounce within and against a series of
rules. Sure, games are a metaphor but so’s everything. Monica Panzarino
opens the whole event with an anthem performed with her Freqshift/Reverb
Audio Bra. Seth Vanek hosts a variety show. TVTV takes us to the Super Bowl
(featuring Bill Murray in his Links Hall debut). Dara Birnbaum skates cut
through hospital soap. Josh Weissbach contends with the dire consequences
of head-to-head combat head-to-head, while Christine Lucy Latimer scrambles
the signals, signifiers and a few faces. Chris Collins provides a post-show
wrap-up, using another form of aesthletics—making a piece over the course
of the evening. Co-presented with Constellation’s ongoing program of
experimental documentary, Run of Life (curated by Christy LeMaster, Beckie
Stocchetti, Robin Amer, Jillian Hansen-Lewis, Sally Lawton, & Jenny
Miller).

Monica Panzarino — Monica Panzarino Sings The Star-Spangled Banner
Dara Birnbaum — Pop-Pop Video: General Hospital/Olympic Women Speed Skate
Josh Weissbach — Football Films Presents
TVTV — TVTV Goes to the Super Bowl
Christine Lucy Latimer — Mosaic
Seth Vanek — Talk Show
Chris Collins — Post-Show Wrap-Up

Tuesday, May 19, 7 pm - THE SITCOM SET

The couch, the laugh track, the wacky neighbor—the sitcom set is a familiar
place. And we, its public, are a set all our own—ready to guffaw and to
indulge even the dopiest situations, predictable stunt casting and
what-a-misunderstandings because we need the eggs, because it’s sublime to
see a couch from the couch. This program’s for the jokesters, the one-liner
fanatics, the crouched potatoes. In its first live incarnation, Is This
Real? asks the toughest question—Is This Real? Flying in from New York,
Concrete Comedian and Performance Artist Sean Joseph Patrick Carney debuts
an unhinged talk show in concert with the nascent BHQFUTV. LJ Frezza
reveals the signs and feelings of ghost-town Seinfeld. Marc Couroux
détourns advertisements, while Ann Magnuson and Tom Rubnitz channel surf
through staggering performances. Ilene Segalove’s serializes the ways we
relate to television over a life. Sherry Millner finds her way to an actual
sitcom set to interrogate the sitcom set, the sitcom star and the fan-star
constellation. Chris Rice stacks the abutments, transitions and neighborly
fences of Tim, his family and his show.

Ilene Segalove - More TV Stories
Marc Couroux - We Know What You’re Looking For—A Situationist Comedy
Sherry Millner - Unruly Fan/Unruly Star
Chris Rice — 8 Seasons (Excerpt)
Ann Magnuson and Tom Rubnitz — Made for TV
LJ Frezza — Nothing
Eric Watts and Josh Duensing — Is This Real? (performance)
Talk Show: Sean Joseph Patrick Carney

Wednesday, May 20, 7 pm - DIAL-A-SOAP

Generally hospitable, filled with lifelong longings, betrayals and doubled
crosses, the soap opera is high drama, five times a week, all melodrama and
dirty deeds. For Dial-A-Soap, we’re proud to have the Chicago premiere of
Cosmic Serpent, a new telenovela produced at Portland Community Media by
Emily Bernstein and Julia Calabrese, with the help of a cast of Portland
whom’s whos. Dynasty does double-duty: its contemporary, Joan Braderman,
delivers stand-up theory over melodrama while Michael Robinson delivers a
head-turning new take. Anne McGuire and Kyle Schlie have their own sudsy
ambitions (which include luminaries like Tim McMullen, George Kuchar and
Eddy Crouse in their ranks). Brian L. Frye interjects with a remake of a
superstar commercial. Finally, world-wenowned Wesley Wodgers ups the anti-
with a talk show that’ll throw your gears in reverse. Bring a tissue or a
towel, this is one roller-coaster you won’t want to miss.

Emily Bernstein and Julia Calabrese — Cosmic Serpent
Michael Robinson — The Dark, Krystle
Brian L. Frye — Andy Warhol’s Schrafft’s Commercial [remake]
Joan Braderman — Joan Does Dynasty
Kyle Schlie — Trailer #4 (Ned Charles) for J.T.B.C.C.’s “Lifelong Longing”
Anne McGuire — All Smiles and Sadness
Blair Bogin — A Child’s Voice Screaming My Name (Performance)
Talk Show — Leslie Rogers

Thursday May 21, 7 pm - ECSTATIC STATIC

Static, glitches, signals lost and reconstituted. This one is for the
heads—gorgeous, scary moments of rapturous rupture for bathing brains and
adventurous eyes. Alejandro T. Acierto performs embodied glitch—a powerful,
visceral consideration of the multiracial body in normative society.
Experimental Half Hour livestreams a telecast from Los Angeles. Philippe
Blanchard and Peter Rahul rush us into the first-person. Jennifer Juniper
Stratford gets corporeally hypnagogic. Vaudeosignal’s celestial noise
brings a blizzard to spring. Caitlin Denny and Nicole Ginelli dig deeper
into the ambience while Tyrone Davies and Eric Watts reveal the rest of the
smash-your-TV story. Finally, Josh Rios and Anthony Romero break apart the
talk show and build it back anew.

Talk Show — Josh Rios and Anthony Romero
Tyrone Davies - Cathode Loop 1
Jennifer Juniper Stratford — Radioactive Dreams
Philippe Blanchard and Peter Rahul — Chroma Crypt
Vaudeo Signal — SNObound
Alejandro T. Acierto — Cavities (Performance)
Caitlin Denny and Nicole Ginelli — Ambient Exploitation : IV : Holes
Eric Watts — LCD
Vaudeo Motion — Performance
Experimental Half Hour — Live Telecast from Los Angeles

Friday, May 22, 7 pm - NO NEWS

NEWS is supposed to come from the four cardinal directions. The
constituents ring in, the weather is reported with real live rain, the
whole thing starts and ends with names. All you have to do is act
naturally. Camera 1, Camera 2, Camera 1, Camera 2, Camera 3, Camera 3, the
world arrives in starts and stanzas. Every house is filled with
representatives. Shehrezad Maher scales up media frenzy in Karachi. Tyrone
Davies’ title alerts the spoilers. Damian Lebiedzinski delivers a snow news
parable for the no news crowd. Lori Felker (don’t miss her talk show
forty-eight hours later) put the news back in oneiric. Andrew Filippone Jr.
plays Sham Beckett puppetry to bring to bear whether a rose really is a
rose. Chris Little acts naturally, Ximena Cuevas shows up on a talk show
while Jesse McLean finds out the ground-shaking reality behind truth TV.
The Videofreex invent Video Games in Utica; 42 years later Kera MacKenzie
and Andrew Mausert-Mooney perfect and imperfect them in a table-top movie
made for tubing. Finally, Marisa Williamson plays chat host to a host of
famous chatterers.

Kera MacKenzie and Andrew Mausert-Mooney — Performance
Tyrone Davies - At the Commercial Break She Started Screaming
Videofreex — Video Games
Videofreex — Taping of Video Games (excerpt)
Ximena Cuevas — Tombola
Jesse McLean — Somewhere Only We Know
Damian Lebiedzinski - Snowball Diatribe
Lori Felker - Broken New
Shehrezad Maher - Dimensions of a Fish
Andrew Filippone Jr.  — ‘Charlie Rose’ by Samuel Beckett
Chris Little — Life During Wartime is a song by the Talking Heads
Marisa Williamson — Talk Show

Saturday, May 23, 1 pm - MAKE ME PSYCHIC

Drop your mind, pop your jaw and let your senses do the talking. An
all-ages screening of psychedelic cartoons; a Saturday morning panoply of
sensorial delights; a cereal bar to benefit S.A.C.K. (Supporting Artists
with Children and/or Kids). If you are or were a child, get ready to get
heady with visionary surrealities. Through the haze of memory we can
pretend the cartoons were ever this good. Julie Potratz performs live
psychedelic cartoon while Lillie Carré and Alexander Stewart of the
Eyeworks Festival of Experimental Animation bring a program of wild and
wooly works by Sally Cruikshank, Kathy Rose, Trixy Sweetvittles, and Amy
Lockhart.

Make Me Psychic — psychedelic cartoons curated by Eyeworks Festival of
Experimental Animation (Alexander Stewart and Lilli Carré)
Cereal Bar to benefit S.A.C.K. (Supporting Artists with Children and/or
Kids)
Julie Potratz performance

Saturday, May 23, 7 pm - CABLE EXCESS

Citizen media, bench-warming televangelists, alderpeople and alternapeople,
broadcasts of the underheard—cable access and its dedicated amateur
practitioners speak to the utopian potentials of television. Borrowing
Brakhage’s insistence that it is “love” from which “amateur” arises, both
as words and as modes of becoming, the denizens of the cable access
spectrum bring a sense of restless possibility to the box. Since its
advent, this new media has attracted artists for both its constraints and
its liberty. The artist’s studio gets an audience. Television is what’s on,
so be on it. Our old friend George Kuchar plays himself and with being a
guest. Christine Lucy Latimer finds demonic overtones in channel scrolls.
ESP TV debuts the show they filmed before a live Chicago audience a month
before. Michael Smith finds himself—or someone like him—on television.
Mothergirl hosts a talk show, if the guests ever arrive.

Michael Smith — It Starts at Home
Christine Lucy Latimer — Program Description
George Kuchar — Hefner’s Heifers
ESP TV in Chicago
Talk Show — Mothergirl

Sunday, May 24, 7 pm - SKETCH BOOK

People love a big ending. Tonight we learn if Live to Tape existed in a
snow globe or was just a dream or if everyone finds their ending. Tonight
is almost an anagram for nothing, but it’ll be so much more. We’ve enlisted
Lori Felker, she of Broken New, This Is My Show and It Doesn’t Matter
artist television fame, to host her final talk show. It was a brief run,
but as the clip reel attests, we laughed, we cried, we grew. Why, even
tonight, we celebrated the television painter, the mark-makers hidden
amidst the pixels and signals. Drawn like a mirror to itself, art is made
between the scanlines. It’s all too much, this sweet sadness of parting. Or
painting. John Kilduff tries to sell the Let’s Paint TV collection, while
Guy Richards Smit, Danny Volk, Steve Wetzel and Kelly Lloyd try to figure
out the notion of man artists on television. Jennifer Juniper Stratford
paints with electrons while Wynne Greenwood and K8 Hardy, pregnant with
information, report on bad paintings and the women in contemporary art.
Jaime Davidovich offers a portrait of the best artist while Scott Wolniak
and Derek Fansler bring a suitable puppet portrait of a buddy road movie.
Thomas Friel is on hand to do all these things at once.

Scott Wolniak — The Buddy Cycles
Steve Wetzel — Sethio
Jennifer Juniper Stratford — Painting Electrons
John Kilduff — Let’s Paint TV
Guy Richards Smit — Grossmalerman Pilot
Danny Volk — Made Up with Danny Volk
Jaime Davidovich — Portrait of the Best Artist
Wynne Greenwood, K8 Hardy — New Report Artist Unknown
Kelly Lloyd — Man Artists on Television (performance)
Tom Friel — Performance
Lori Felker — Show & Talk Talk Show

--
*// // // J E S S E  M A L M E D *
505.690.7899 // jesse.mal...@gmail.com //

*Trunk Show in the Chicago Reader
<http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/trunk-show-jesse-malmed-raven-falquez-munsell-bumper-stickers-eric-fleischauer/Content?oid=15719804>
/ JM in the Reader
<http://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader/archives/2015/01/20/the-next-month-is-the-time-to-catch-the-thriving-local-experimental-video-art-scene>
/
Gapers Block
<http://gapersblock.com/ac/2015/01/25/jesse-malmed-the-film-studies-center/>
/ South Side Weekly
<http://southsideweekly.com/yes-to-humor-no-to-laughs/>5/18-5/24 Live to
Tape: Artist Television Festival at Links Hall
<http://livetotapefestival.tumblr.com/>*